GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Matt_Bilskie

ADCIRC - Assign Nodestring

Is there a way ( I am trying in SMS 11.1 ) to have SMS automatically put nodestring boundaries around the entire mesh boundary? Much like Mesh to Map; Mesh Boundaries -> Polygons. It can be a pain if you have many islands to go around and individually click out each boundary.

Matt,

The easiest way is to assign the attributes to the arcs before the mesh is generated. You can select all the arcs (single command to select all), then deselect the main coastline and ocean, then make them all "islands". Then SMS will generate nodestrings when it generates the mesh.

If you are working with an existing mesh, I think that would require a new command in SMS. That is not an unreasonable feature, but it would need to be added. I'll look a little closer to see if there is another option.

Alan

It finds all borders (external, islands) in a triangular mesh (ADCIRC14 file) and writes them as a generic nodestrings to output ADCIRC14 file. All nodestrings of input file are ignored. Each closed border is defined as one closed nodestring.