GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Boundary condition: specified flow

GMS User

I've build a 3D Modflow 4 layers model with Constant Head Boundary condition (CHD, specified head) and Specified Flow Boundary condition.

The CHD refers to 1-4 layers while the Speficied Flow referes to 3-4 layers.

I get the Flow Budget by selecting the cells intersecting the Specified Flow coverage. I get the same values of Q for wells for each layer.

So, my question: is the Q set in the coverage (Specified Flow) divided by the number of layers regardless of each layer width?

I need to divide the input Q (100) among the layers proportional to the width of each layer (20, 20 60) and not equal to the total Q divided by layers' number (33, 33, 33).

Should I set different coverages, one for each layer?

Thank you

D Lattuada

If you are using the "specified flow" attribute type in a coverage and assigning it to an arc or a polygon then the flow into a column of cells (layer 1 to layer N) depends on the length of arc that intersects the cell (or in the case of a polygon the area that intersects the cell) and then the flow is divided equally among the cells. There is no accounting for the change in Transmissivity between the cells.

Thank you Michael, I was dealing with Specified Flow Boundary condition as Alan explained very well.

Thank you Alan.

A workround could be to set up different coverages (arc), each one applied to a single layer, and assign it the desired flow.

Archived