GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mputnam

Editing Imported HEC-RAS Model Not Created in WMS

Hello,

I am having a problem editing a HEC-RAS model not created in WMS. I read information on another post which stated that you could export from HEC-RAS to WMS by changing the extension of the HEC-RAS GIS export file to .geo. This part of the import went without problem and I was able to successfully import the HEC-RAS model into WMS. However, my task is to add onto this model and extend it futher upstream. I am able to edit the coverage that depicts the centerline of the river to mactch reach as I go further upstream as well as add additional cross sections but I am unable to modify the hydraulic schematic. I am also able to draw additional cross sections on the imported coverage but I am having problems assigning them to the proper reach. I am under a pretty tight deadline and I need to be able to edit this data to finish my project. Please help.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Here's the order you should do things:

1) Import your RAS .geo file.

2) Extend your stream centerline upstream and add bank locations (if desired) in the 1D Centerline coverage.

3) Draw any additional cross sections to your model in the 1D Cross section coverage.

4) Read TIN or DEM data or generate a TIN from your imported .geo data using the cross section coverage (this option is available in the cross section coverage river tools menu). You may need to do some manipulation from various sources of elevation/DTM data to get elevation data covering all your cross section areas.

5) Go to the 1D Cross section coverage and extract cross sections for all or just the new cross sections (just select them) and create a new cross section database.

6) Select the 1D Centerline coverage and select Map->Schematic.

7) Go to the river module and define your model data (manning's roughness values and materials).

8) Export your model to HEC-RAS

9) Finish defining data for and run HEC-RAS

10) Read the solution back into WMS, if desired, and do a floodplain delineation.

Thanks for the help. I have been in touch with technical support and have successfully added the additional data to the model. I am, however, having one problem and that is when I export the model to HEC-RAS the reach lenghts do not get exported.

We saw this problem with somebody's file just the other day. We solved the problem by going to the 1D cross section and centerline coverages and recomputing all the stations from the River Tools menu. We also re-extracted the cross sections and this fixed the problem.

Chris