GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kmacblackbear

Reading Hec-Ras im WMS

I am creating a Dam Breach Inundation maps using WMS and HEC-RAS. I have Built a map in WMS and created New tin, center-line, banks and Cross section in WMS and then Exported them out to Hec-Ras were I Created Dams and Bridges in Hec-Ras using the Cross Section made in WMS. After all that i then ran the simulation in HecRas and try to read the solution in WMS. The problem comes in when I try to read the solution. I can not read the Cross Section and the message reads" The cross section # (all my cross section) in the HEC-Ras model was not found in your WMS hydraulic model" and then "no data was found". I did not change the cross section in HecRas but just added structure in the the river (9 dams and 19 bridges). What can i do to get the data into WMS. Also i tried importing data from the HECRAS drop-down menu and that did not work.

When you build your model in WMS, you should create a cross section that represents each dam or bridge in your model and turn on the option for each of those cross sections defining that cross section as a bridge or a culvert. Each bridge or culvert should have 2 upstream and 2 downstream cross sections. Then, when you go to HEC-RAS, you should be able to modify your bridge or culvert data for each of the bridges/culverts you have defined in WMS. I do not recommend adding cross sections in RAS from outside of WMS because WMS will have trouble recognizing the output from those cross sections added outside of WMS and the solution will not be read correctly. You should first try adding a bridge or culvert on a simple project to begin with and then edit your bridge/culvert data in HEC-RAS and run your simulation, then try reading the solution into WMS. The work flow I always use for hydraulic modeling in WMS is 1) Create your stream centerline and banks in the map module (1D centerline coverage), 2) Create cross sections and cross sections representing bridge/culvert locations in the map module (1D Cross section coverage), 3) Create any area properties, 4) Extract cross sections and material properties/point properties from background DTM data, 5) Modify your extracted cross sections as necessary to represent the true channel geometry, 6) Select Map->Schematic on the 1D Centerline coverage, 7) Finish defining Manning's roughness values for the different material types (if necessary), 8) Export your model to HEC-RAS, 9) Define any junction and flow/boundary condition data in HEC-RAS as well as structure (culvert, weir, or bridge) data, 10) Run your HEC-RAS model, and 11) Read the solution back into WMS. If you do these steps out of order, it might cause problems when trying to read your solution back into WMS.

If you have done everything in this order, you can try contacting WMS tech support for help fixing your model.