GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
SDB_Engr

Composite CN Using NLCD TIFF Data

I am looking for information/tutorial on generating composite Curve Numbers with WMS using NLCD TIFF images with worldfile to generate land use/land cover data. I have seen some information that indicates WMS can utilize the NLCD Landsat based data, but have not been able to find detailed steps for how to do this. GIRAS based LULC shapefile data is dated, and was not very accurate for a project I just worked on.

WMS 9.0 downloads the 2006 NLCD data using the Get Data tools and reads the data as a land use grid. You can right-click on the grid and view/edit the attributes such as the curve number values and the names assigned to each land use. WMS reads the attribute information from the TIFF file. After the land use grid has been read into WMS, you can use the data to compute curve numbers and other parameters the same as you would use a land use coverage in the map module. The only difference is that you will use a land use grid instead of map data for computing the curve number. For information on how to compute curve numbers in WMS, I recommend going through the tutorial on "Time of Concentration Calculations and Computing a Composite CN" on the WMS learning center here: http://www.aquaveo.com/wms-learning

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris