GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
drewa

CE-Qual-W2 segments

I just recieved WMS and am just learning it, so please forgive me if this is a simple question. I have a long river that I am modeling in CE-QUAL-W2. I would like to bring in segments defined in ArcGIS to automate things as much as possible. I haven't seen in the tutorials on how that can be done (or if it can be). Is that something that we can reasonably do?

Thanks

drew

Drew,

You should be able to bring in segments as a shapefile in the GIS module and then convert them to a CE-QUAL-W2 segment and/or branch coverage in the Map Module instead of drawing the segments by hand as described in the CE-QUAL-W2 tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chris

I was able to get the shape file into WMS. Within ArcGIS, I defined the segment and branch IDs but I am not able to get them to map within WMS using "Shape -> Feature Objects". Is there a format that should be specified before I do that import?

Thanks

drew

Drew,

WMS does not map any segment or branch attributes (such as ID's) from the shapefiles representing the segments and branches. WMS only copies the geometry of the segments and branches over to the segment or branch coverages in the WMS map module. After copying the geometry to the map module, it's up to you to make sure the segment and branch ID's are defined correctly using the approach described in the CE-QUAL-W2 tutorial. I recommend getting the latest version of WMS 9.0 from our web site to build your CE-QUAL-W2 model if you have not already.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris

I'm using the latest version of WMS. What I have done is bring in a shape file, convert using "Shapes -> Feature Objects." I then change the coverage type to CE-QUAL-W2 Branch and go in to start renumbering. If in the process of renumbering I had the program hang up saying that that number has already been assigned. I had to kill the program and then start over.

FYI, what I discovered is that I can reverse sort the polygons in ArcGIS with ETGeowizards and the import into WMS goes very smoothly for both the file and numbering.

Hi Drew,

If the freeze is replicable, could you please upload your files to our FTP site by following the steps below so we can look into the problem?

1. Create a new folder with a unique name on your computer and copy all of your project files into it. (please zip up the folder)

2. Open windows explorer (My Computer).

3. Enter "ftp://pubftp.aquaveo.com/incoming/" in the address bar.

4. (If the "Log On As" dialog box appears) check the box labeled "Log on anonymously" and click "Log On".

5. Copy the folder with your project files in it into the "incoming" folder.

6. Send an e-mail to support@aquaveo.com telling us the name of the folder you uploaded and exact steps taken to produce the problem.

*Please help us stay organized by putting all of your files in a single folder before you upload them. After you upload the files, you will not be able to edit them.

Drew,

I'd second what Todd said. If you're having a problem with WMS hanging or if it is not working the way you want it to work, contact tech support and they will attempt to help you with the problems. They will contact me if they find any way that we could improve the WMS software. The web page with their contact information is located here: http://www.aquaveo.com/technical-support

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chris

I should be able to re-create that error. I'll keep track of what I'm doing and send things along. One more question, how do I go from stream contour lines (shape file) into the proper format for bathymetric definition for CE-QUAL? I have looked around on the tutorials but aren't finding the steps I need to take.

thanks again

drew

Drew,

You need to convert your contour lines to a WMS TIN. There are several ways of doing this both in and out of WMS. Basically, if you can get XYZ bathymetry values in a text format for your river somehow, you can read these values into WMS using the text file import wizard as "TIN" or "Survey" data and then triangulate your TIN. You should clean up your TIN after triangulating by removing unnecessary triangles, etc. I'd recommend going through the "Using TINs" tutorial to learn how to work with TINs and then carefully going through the CE-QUAL-W2 tutorial to learn how to get bathymetry from the CE-QUAL branch and segment layers (coverages) and from your TIN.

Chris

I have finally had a chance to get back to this project and was able to reproduce the error. Here are the steps that I have done:NewCEQUALgrid_m.zip

1) Open new window

2) Activate GIS Module

3) Data ==> Add Shapefile Data (see attached zip file)

4) Mapping ==> Shapes -> Feature Objects (yes, use all shapes)

a ) Next

b ) Mapping (not mapped) Next

c ) Finish

5) Right click "Drainage" and change to "CE-QUAL-W2 Branch"

6) CE-QUAL-W2 ==> New Simulaiton

7) Select Feature Polygon

8) Double click top cell (#8)

9) Change Branch ID ==> "2", OK

10) Error "Branch ID 2 is already being used" and I can't get out of that loop

What I would like to do is be able to use an attribute in the shape file to define my branch numbering but I'm not sure if I can do that and, if I can, how. So, now I'm stuck in an endless loop.

Thanks

I opened your files and got the same infinite loop. I reported this as a bug so hopefully it will be fixed in future releases of WMS. Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Drew,

There are several issues with your shapefile that need to be cleaned up:

1. This shapefile looks like it contains segments rather than branches. Branches would normally be used to define main or side branches of the reservoir or stream you are modeling. See figure 7-1 of the WMS 9.0 CE-QUAL-W2 tutorial. This shapefile could be used to define a segment coverage, but would not represent a branch coverage. Once you delete all the extra branch polygons, your branch numbers will be much easier to manage if there are only 2 branch polygons.

2. Another thing I noticed about this shapefile is that there are duplicate arcs between some of the polygons. After you convert from the shapefile to Map module data, you can use the clean command to remove most of the duplicate arcs. But there is still an extra arc between the main branch and the side branch in your model. This should be cleaned up.

3. Before you can renumber your segments, you should have both a segment and a branch coverage. It looks like this model should have 2 branches (1 main branch and a side branch) and several segments. Follow the instructions and guidelines described in the W2 tutorial to renumber your segments.

4. I also noticed that you have 2 segments from your side branch going into your main branch. This is not allowed in W2 or in the WMS interface. You should combine these segments from your side branch into a single branch before renumbering your segments.

Chris