GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Prater

ADCIRC coastline file

I'm new to ADCIRC, and the "ADCIRC Analysis" guide was very helpful. But that guide starts with "load your .cst file". I guess I need a little more ramping up, and so I'd really like to see a guide for strategies and hints for creating a mesh from the very beginning, particularly the coastline file, as well as a description of the .cst file format so I can import/export its data to/from other applications. Any suggestions are appreciated! -- Cheers, Mark

Hello all,

I thought I'd narrow down my query. Can I get a description of the formats for the coastline (".cst") and bathymetry (".pts") input files for ADCIRC mesh generation? Specifically:

(1) How do I indicate that my data is in lon/lat format?

(2) How do I indicate that my bathymetry is in z-coordinates (positive upward)?

(3) How do I incorporate islands into the .cst file?

(4) How do I interprete the "header" lines in the .cst and .pts file (i.e. are the text strings just comments, or do they convey information to the SMS program?)

Sorry if this information is easily available, but I looked through the tutorial guides and the wiki help site without luck. Thanks,

-- Mark

The following articles from the support wiki should be helpful for creating a coastline file:

Create Contour Arcs

Create Coastline

Scatter Contour to Feature Arcs

Coastline Files (*.cst)

While looking into this for you I noticed a bug in SMS that may prevent you from saving out a Coastline File if you don't have CGWAVE enabled. This will be fixed in our next update of SMS 10.0.

(1) How do I indicate that my data is in lon/lat format?

Coordinate Systems

Current Coordinates

Coordinate Conversions

(2) How do I indicate that my bathymetry is in z-coordinates (positive upward)?

Converting between elevation and depth datums can be accomplished using the Transform Dialog

(3) How do I incorporate islands into the .cst file?

If you create a feature arc in an ADCIRC type coverage and set the arc type to be "island", it will be written to the cst file. The feature arc type determines if it will be written to the cst file.

(4) How do I interprete the "header" lines in the .cst and .pts file (i.e. are the text strings just comments, or do they convey information to the SMS program?)

The header lines are not used by SMS. They are for helping us humans read the file.

Shoals files (*.pts) are a generic ASCII tabular file. See the support wiki article on SHOALS files for more information.