GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

LandXML files projection

Ferko

I am exporting a surface to a LandXML file so I can import the surface in SMS 11.0. It appears the the northings and eastings are reversed. The landxml points are listed as a (northing, easting, elevation) pr (y,x,z). The way the surface is displayed in SMS looks to be (Easting, Northing, elevation) or (x,y,z). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or is there a way to change the way the coordinates are read? I am using Pennsylvania State Plane Coordinates. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing. I have a workaround. Could you also get us a sample file that we can use to try to make SMS recognize this and read the file correctly in the future? Contact support@aquaveo.com for upload instructions.

The workaround is to use the transform data option twice to flip the coordinates. To do this:

1. Go to Data | Transform. Choose the scale option. Use 1.0 for x and z but a -1.0 for y. Click OK.

2. Go to Data | Transform again. Choose the rotate option. Use 270.0 for the angle and leave the x and y at 0.0. Click OK.

In the end you should end up with coordinates that are flipped from how they were read in.

I hope this helps.

I am exporting a surface to a LandXML file so I can import the surface in SMS 11.0. It appears the the northings and eastings are reversed. The landxml points are listed as a (northing, easting, elevation) pr (y,x,z). The way the surface is displayed in SMS looks to be (Easting, Northing, elevation) or (x,y,z). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or is there a way to change the way the coordinates are read? I am using Pennsylvania State Plane Coordinates. Thanks for your help.

Archived