GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
M O K

Selecting Cartesian Grid

In earlier versions I was able to create a cartesian grid and then select it and change rotation, move it around, change size etc. I can't seem to find how to do it in the 11.0 version.

Does anybody know how to do this ?

Do you mean a "grid frame" rather than a grid? A grid frame is used to layout the physical location of the grid before actually creating it.

What model are you trying to create a grid for?

In earlier versions I was able to create a cartesian grid and then select it and change rotation, move it around, change size etc. I can't seem to find how to do it in the 11.0 version.

Does anybody know how to do this ?

Do you mean a "grid frame" rather than a grid? A grid frame is used to layout the physical location of the grid before actually creating it.

What model are you trying to create a grid for?

Hi Rusty,

yes I was trying to say "grid frame". I remember being able to move it around, decide on the final size etc. and re-interpolate my grid after changing it position. I am using CMS-wave as my model but it does not matter to me because I will just create the grid then use grid points for something else. My main question is, how can I create a grid frame and then select it to change its properties? With the same license I was able to do this. Now I can't.

Could you help me please ?

You should still be able to do this in SMS 11.0 (it works fine for me). Here are the steps:

1. Create a CMS-WAVE coverage (right click on the item named "Map Data" and choose new coverage and choose CMS-WAVE type.

2. Use the create grid frame tool (looks like a box) and click out approximate locations for the gridframe.

3. Switch to the select grid frame tool (looks like the create grid frame tool with an added arrow to indicate selection).

4. Drag a box around the grid frame holding the left mouse button. When you let up, you should see the IJ indicators on the grid frame and highlighted points on the corners and midway along each side of the gridframe.

5. You should be able to drag any of these highlighted corners or mid-sides at this point. You can also right click on the grid frame to change the values of origin/size/etc.

I hope this helps.

Hi Rusty,

yes I was trying to say "grid frame". I remember being able to move it around, decide on the final size etc. and re-interpolate my grid after changing it position. I am using CMS-wave as my model but it does not matter to me because I will just create the grid then use grid points for something else. My main question is, how can I create a grid frame and then select it to change its properties? With the same license I was able to do this. Now I can't.

Could you help me please ?

You should still be able to do this in SMS 11.0 (it works fine for me). Here are the steps:

1. Create a CMS-WAVE coverage (right click on the item named "Map Data" and choose new coverage and choose CMS-WAVE type.

2. Use the create grid frame tool (looks like a box) and click out approximate locations for the gridframe.

3. Switch to the select grid frame tool (looks like the create grid frame tool with an added arrow to indicate selection).

4. Drag a box around the grid frame holding the left mouse button. When you let up, you should see the IJ indicators on the grid frame and highlighted points on the corners and midway along each side of the gridframe.

5. You should be able to drag any of these highlighted corners or mid-sides at this point. You can also right click on the grid frame to change the values of origin/size/etc.

I hope this helps.

works great,

I need to use the 'Map Module' to create my frame and grid from now on. I was trying to do same thing in the "Cartesian Grid Module".

thank you Rusty.

Edited by M O K