GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
GMS User

Modlfow - how to read flow across lines

I get a running modflow model with 2 boundary conditions (constant heads h=10 and h=1) in stationary conditions.

The head contouring show me the calculated water level.

I want to know the flow rate across the boundary condition. I select the arcs and I get the flow data in the status bar.

Is there any way to draw a new arc in the middle of the model and get the flow across this arc?

I get only the length.

I tried the following with different results:

1. draw a polyline, set a zone budget value, open the flow budget and read the total flow in/out.4

2. select the arc drawn, mouse right click, select intersecting object (3d grid), read the flow budget of the selected cells (for each of my layers)

Any suggestion?

Edited by GMS User

The flow data will only report flows associated with boundary conditions. You could try selecting the cells that are below the new arc you created and then select the MODFLOW | Flow Budget menu command. This will tell you flows within your selected cells.

I select the intersecting 3d grid element and read the flow budget (as you suggest and as #2 of my previous post).

The only disadvantage is that I have to repeat the whole process for 7 layers!

When I use the polygon I've to recompute all flows, mixing both the arc flow and the zone ID one, as the flow budget reports total volume of water.

Thanks for response.

You could assign the same Zone Budget ID to the cells intersected by your polyline in each layer and then use the "Zones" tab on the Flow Budget dialog to get a report. It will tell you flow into and out of the zone.