GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
mithun

Coordinate system in sms10.1

Hi,

How can i input longitude & latitude as x,y in scatter data entry? IS it possible in SMS 10.1?So far problem is that its taking longitude & latitude together as "x" in scatter data entry.

With regards,

M Sikder.

Hi,

Are you asking if you can paste two values (separated by a tab or space) into the X coordinate to enter an x and y location for a scatter vertex?

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi,

How can i input longitude & latitude as x,y in scatter data entry? IS it possible in SMS 10.1?So far problem is that its taking longitude & latitude together as "x" in scatter data entry.

With regards,

M Sikder.

Hi,

yes, i am trying to input latitude(i.e. 23°42'32.64"N) & longitude(i.e. 90°23'30.40"E) as x,y respectively but could not able to do that.After input it takes both lat & long as value of "x" .Then i picked again latitude(i.e.23.7102) and longitude(i.e.90.3924)(decimal degree) two data points from google earth. it takes but length between two points didn't match.How can i get this thing done?SAy actually its 300 feet but sms shows that its 2 feet only.

Edited by mithun

Hi,

yes, i am trying to input latitude(i.e. 23°42'32.64"N) & longitude(i.e. 90°23'30.40"E) as x,y respectively but could not able to do that.After input it takes both lat & long as value of "x" .Then i picked again latitude(i.e.23.7102) and longitude(i.e.90.3924)(decimal degree) two data points from google earth. it takes but length between two points didn't match.How can i get this thing done?SAy actually its 300 feet but sms shows that its 2 feet only.

Did you set up a coordinate projection for the project? If you are taking values from Google Earth, you will need to make sure that the projection in SMS is the same as it is in Google Earth.

Cheers,

Cameron

Yea, those fields are independent and you can't paste into one and have it carry to the other. Also, we can't take input in degrees minutes seconds. Some things we will need to think about.

If you are doing several points, the easiest thing may be to put them into a spreadsheet do the conversions to decimal degrees and write them in csv format and read them into SMS using the import wizard.

In addition to a possible different in projection as mentioned by Cameron, the discrepancy in distances can be accounted for in how SMS computes distance compared to other products you may be using such as Google Earth. When SMS computes the distance between points in geographic, we convert the points into a UTM zone that contains one or both of the points. There is some loss of precision when this is done particularly if the points are in different zones. We calculate the distance based upon the converted UTM points. There are more precise ways to calculate distance taking into account curvature of the earth but we don't currently do this. Up to this point, we haven't felt that the added precision is worth the time and cost and have chosen to implement other features.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi,

HEY,

Problem now when we input UTM value then distance sms showing is 3.3 times less than original one. I done for several locations but every its 3.3times less.What about that?

cheers,

Sikder

I think when you are in Geographic, SMS always report the distances in meters. Are you comparing this distance to a length in feet?

HEY,

Problem now when we input UTM value then distance sms showing is 3.3 times less than original one. I done for several locations but every its 3.3times less.What about that?

cheers,

Sikder