GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Nick C

Shapefile to Feature Objects

I am having issues with my shapefiles. I may need to send an example file to someone. Basically, I am trying to convert my shapefiles to DEM's, and step one would be to convert to feature objects. In the tutorial under step 3.3.1, it says to map attributes. These attributes are DRAINTYPE, LENGTH, SLOPE, DMANNINGS, and BASINID. Now when I get to this step, my shapefile has multiple selections that can be mapped, including those with the following names: CONTOURS_I, UNITS, ELEVATION, FMSRC, FMSRCORG, FMPROCS. Basically, I do not see where I can map attributes to carry along the correct information needed for the DEM. These attributes do not correspond at all to the tutorial, but I do not want to lose data while converting.

Nick, you need to convert your shapefile to a "general" coverage type instead of to the default "drainage" coverage type. If you change your drainage coverage to a general coverage and then map your shapefile to the general coverage, there should be an option to map your elevation values to the elevation attribute in WMS.