GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
walkington

SMS 10.0.11 and Windows 7

Hi,

I am trying to run SMS 10.0.11 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. It runs happily until I try and load in some large(ish) datasets from the results of an adcirc run. As it is converting the file Windows decideds that the program is unresponsive and goes away to try and find a solution on web to this problem. If I press the cancel button then it closes SMS for me:( At present I can't load fort.63/fort.64 data files as the conversion to .h5 format ends up kiling the program.

Any suggestions or is it just me?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately when SMS is cranking away on something, Windows thinks that SMS is unresponsive. I am assuming that SMS is still trying to finish converting the files.

Do you have the option to continue to wait? If so, try that. If several minutes go by without the size of the files increasing, then something different may be happening.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi,

I am trying to run SMS 10.0.11 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. It runs happily until I try and load in some large(ish) datasets from the results of an adcirc run. As it is converting the file Windows decideds that the program is unresponsive and goes away to try and find a solution on web to this problem. If I press the cancel button then it closes SMS for me:( At present I can't load fort.63/fort.64 data files as the conversion to .h5 format ends up kiling the program.

Any suggestions or is it just me?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the reply. It would appear that Windows just stops the job. The file only reaches 20kb and then stops increasing. Windows checks for the fix and then asks if you want to debug or cancel. Cancel kills the program and I don't fancy debug:)

Does this mean I can't use SMS for viewing results then? and is this a problem with the newer versions as well or just my old and creaky one?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the trouble. I've never seen this problem. I don't know if it exists in newer versions because I never experienced it in older versions.

We don't have the resources to maintain multiple versions of our software. I would suggest you download the SMS 11.0 beta version and see if the problem exists in that version.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the reply. It would appear that Windows just stops the job. The file only reaches 20kb and then stops increasing. Windows checks for the fix and then asks if you want to debug or cancel. Cancel kills the program and I don't fancy debug:)

Does this mean I can't use SMS for viewing results then? and is this a problem with the newer versions as well or just my old and creaky one?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Rusty,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It was a problem with the file, which wasn't in the right format. The new version of SMS told me about the error, the old SMS 10.0.x version just hung. Still now I know I can check the file format is right if the error occurs again.

Thanks for the help

Ian