GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Mark Bentley

How to fix the error " attempted to read or write protected memory . . . . " when running the XS2D panel to Geosection tool

I am having a problem when using the "Transform XS2D Panel to Geosection" tool in subsurface analyst. I keep getting an error message saying the following, "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." Is there a way to fix this problem?

• Like 1

I am having a problem when using the "Transform XS2D Panel to Geosection" tool in subsurface analyst. I keep getting an error message saying the following, "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." Is there a way to fix this problem?

The first thing to check is to make sure the files aren't being used by any ArcGIS (or other) programs. Sometimes, for example, you may have ArcScene open, and then try running the geoprocessing tool from ArcMap. I'd close down all ArcGIS programs, and make sure none of them are running in the background in Task Manager. Then, start Map (or Scene) and try again.

Thanks Doug,

I had the same suspicion and began monitoring all processes in the task manager.

18 of 21 cross section lines convert to GeoSections successfully; this led me to think that it was the three XS2D panel files to be converted that had the lock or some other issue. I recreated the XS2D panels, but same result.

At this point other errors are appearing, and everything seems to be revolving around my SectionLine feature class. I exported it and reloaded into the database but this has not helped either and tools continue to fail. As a result I am relying solely on borepoint data to create the GeoVolume.

Thanks,

Nick

The first thing to check is to make sure the files aren't being used by any ArcGIS (or other) programs. Sometimes, for example, you may have ArcScene open, and then try running the geoprocessing tool from ArcMap. I'd close down all ArcGIS programs, and make sure none of them are running in the background in Task Manager. Then, start Map (or Scene) and try again.