GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Simone

Editing Geosections

Hi

Im working on an ArcHydro GW project and due to the contentious nature of the water resources in the area its important that i use as much detail as possible where i can so instead of creating GeoSections directly from the raster catalouge ive chosen instead to complete 24 XS2D Cross Sections across the area, ive now converted them into a Geosection, but now that they are all lined up i can see where edits are evident, is there anyway to edit the geosection directly rather than editing each XS2D Panel, or is there a way to visualise the XS2D panels in arcScene so i can see how they line up with the other panels? Ive considered converting the geosections to points but then im not too sure how to edit the points also i cant find a tool to create a GeoSectionPoints shapefile, and im guessing it has to fit the schema to work since it copies across all the horizon and HGUID data etc. Ive attached my data for you to look at it migh explain a bit better what im trying to do, i want to edit the cross section joins based on surrounding cross sections and borehole lines.

Thanks

Simone

Hi

Im working on an ArcHydro GW project and due to the contentious nature of the water resources in the area its important that i use as much detail as possible where i can so instead of creating GeoSections directly from the raster catalouge ive chosen instead to complete 24 XS2D Cross Sections across the area, ive now converted them into a Geosection, but now that they are all lined up i can see where edits are evident, is there anyway to edit the geosection directly rather than editing each XS2D Panel, or is there a way to visualise the XS2D panels in arcScene so i can see how they line up with the other panels? Ive considered converting the geosections to points but then im not too sure how to edit the points also i cant find a tool to create a GeoSectionPoints shapefile, and im guessing it has to fit the schema to work since it copies across all the horizon and HGUID data etc. Ive attached my data for you to look at it migh explain a bit better what im trying to do, i want to edit the cross section joins based on surrounding cross sections and borehole lines.

Thanks

Simone

You can edit the multipatch Geosection features in ArcScene. This is done by turning on the 3D Editor toolbar, and editing just like you would in ArcMap.

However, I think you'll find it much easier to go back to the original XS2D Panel polygons. Once you've made the changes to the XS2D Panels, you can run the Transform XS2D Panel to GeoSection tool again to overwrite your existing GeoSection features or make a new feature class. Editing XS2D Panel features and transforming them to GeoSection features is covered in the Creating 2D Cross Sections tutorial at the AHGW Learning Center (http://www.aquaveo.com/ahgw-learning).

An alternative would be to run the GeoSection to Points tool (in the Subsurface Analyst, Features toolset). This will create points at the top and bottom of your GeoSection features. These points could then be edited (for example, changing the Z elevation or deleting particular points) as desired, and interpolated to new rasters (using any of the Interpolation tools found in the 3D Analyst or Subsurface Analyst tools). After placing the new rasters into a raster catalog, you could then run the Rasters to GeoSections tool to create new GeoSection features. For more information, see the Creating GeoRasters from Borehole Data and Updating GeoRasters Using Cross Section Data tutorials at the AHGW Learning Center (http://www.aquaveo.com/ahgw-learning).

i managed to get a chance to use GIS 10 to be able to use the 3D editor toolbar but because the geosection is a multipatch feature it will only allow certian edits, ie it doesnt let you alter the verticies, is there a way around this? Ive converted the geosection to points and was considering editing them instead but is there a way to only create points for the top of an aquifer rather than the default of the top and bottom? or a way to easily filter out the bottom of aquifer points becuse they are actually the top of the lower aquifer?

Hi,

I am a colleague of Simone's helping out with the AHGW project she has been asking about in this and other threads.

In respons to your first point:

You can edit the multipatch Geosection features in ArcScene. This is done by turning on the 3D Editor toolbar, and editing just like you would in ArcMap.

I have also just spent some time on ArcGIS 10 in order to try and find a solution for Simone;s project. After a few hours of playing with ArcGIS 10, I also cannot see a way to edit a multipatch feature (our geosections) at a vertex scale in the way that you can a polygon.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Editing_3D_multipatch_features/00q80000007v000000/

If you know of a way around this can you please let me know?

However, I think you'll find it much easier to go back to the original XS2D Panel polygons. Once you've made the changes to the XS2D Panels, you can run the Transform XS2D Panel to GeoSection tool again to overwrite your existing GeoSection features or make a new feature class. Editing XS2D Panel features and transforming them to GeoSection features is covered in the Creating 2D Cross Sections tutorial at the AHGW Learning Center (http://www.aquaveo.com/ahgw-learning).

An alternative would be to run the GeoSection to Points tool (in the Subsurface Analyst, Features toolset). This will create points at the top and bottom of your GeoSection features. These points could then be edited (for example, changing the Z elevation or deleting particular points) as desired, and interpolated to new rasters (using any of the Interpolation tools found in the 3D Analyst or Subsurface Analyst tools). After placing the new rasters into a raster catalog, you could then run the Rasters to GeoSections tool to create new GeoSection features. For more information, see the Creating GeoRasters from Borehole Data and Updating GeoRasters Using Cross Section Data tutorials at the AHGW Learning Center (http://www.aquaveo.com/ahgw-learning).

For our purpose I think it would be easier to edit either the multipatch if this is possible, or points derived from the multipatch, instead of editing all of the XS2D panels individually. We want to be able to visualise them compared to each other while in ArcSccene. In the print screen Simone posted earlier, you can see some of the places where the geossections intersect do not have matching stratographic layers. Our aim is to fix this.

Am I right in assuming that the output of the Geosection to points tool will be a regular points feature class which has a z value? Does this then mean I can find the points that need editing, edit their Z value by right mouse clicking on the vertex (with the edit vertex tool selected and in an edit session), and going to absolute X,Y,Z, then changing the Z value?

or the method as explained here:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/by_interactive_editing_moving_the_z/00q800000031000000/

Your help is appreciated

Cheers,

Ben

Editing the multipatch features probably isn't what you want.

The GeoSection to Points tool will create 3D (Z enabled) points along the GeoSection. You specify the desired Sampling Distance to get the kind of detail you want.

Once you've done this, you can edit individual points, or make more complex changes by filtering on the HGUID or HorizonID fields. With those points, you can generate a new raster surface and rebuild the GeoVolume features.

The basic steps to do this are found in the "Updating GeoRasters Using Cross Section Data" tutorial on the Arc Hydro Groundwater Learning Center.

I am a year late to this discussion, but I have a couple thoughts.

-Depending on how many vertices there are when you convert from GeoSection to Points, you could still have some weird surfaces.

-Another approach is to have all of your sections intersect at locations where you have borhole logs. This will ensure that the intersecting sections match. Really there is no reason that you have to create your sections on the grid pattern that you have used. Just create a bunch of connect-the-dots sections and perform your interpretation on those.

-Because you have already put in the work you have, you could consider creating new "dummy" borings at the intersections of your sections. Seems like you should be able to devise a work flow that will allow you to look at the sections you have (both in ArcMAP and Scene) and create BoreholeLog data that achieves the interpretation you want. Then add these boreings to your existing sections and modify the panels accordingly.

- this last part may be tricky, but you could create a copy of all the Sectionlines, and assign new HyrdoID that are easy to correlate to the original Sections (ie for section 1, use section 101). Then run the XS2D wizard, and to the resulting dataframe, add the original XS2D_Panel (ie. for the new section 101, add XS2D_Panel_1). Modify the panel polygons to match the "dummy" borehole logs. Finish all Panel edits then run the XS2D_Panel to GeoSection tool and DONE!