GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Simone

adding outcrops to cross sections

Hi

Im trying to add outcrops to my cross sections however when i use the transform polygons to XS2D lines tool it doesnt come up with the outcrop option like it does in the online video it just has panel, boreline, panel divider, major grid, minor grid. Is there something i have to do behind the scenes to allow this option to come up?

Cheers

Hi,

You need to first create a new feature class that is referenced in the XS2D Catalog table. The drop down list you refer to is created from the catalog table. There is a tool for this named Create XS2D Line Feature Class that is located in the XS2D Editor toolset.

You can take a look at the tutorial named Creating 2D Cross Sections, look for the section named "Adding Data From Geologic Maps" it includes a detailed description of the process.

Gil

i followed the tutorial but my XS2DLine is showing up in my cross section data frame but isnt projected to the DEM like it should be - any ideas?

Hi,

Are you getting a line in the XS2D data frame, but it is flat? Not sure I understand the issue. If you can send some more details that will be helpful. A figure showing the result/error would be good.

Thanks,

Gil

Hi

yes the line is in the data fram but is flat - sitting at 0m AHD see attached. Ive also noticed that rather than symbolising the line based on the geology ie one line with different colours on it which represent the different geologies its 3 lines all of different colours all lying on top of each other - is this maybe because im using 9.3?

The other thing im having trouble with is that when i try to pull say one cross section into a new map im not able to use or set up a customised grid where the mahor and minor grid line shape files are able to create the grid, it automatically does this for me when i create the cross section in the fist instance. Is this likely to be an issue with my extentions or something, my in house GIS staff have never tried this before so they cant help me much as to why its not working. Im really sorry to bother you with every little detail but im the only person in my department using archydro groundwater at the moment so no one else can really help me out.

Cheers

Simone

cross section.bmp

Hi,

Regarding the first topic - i don't think the problem is because you are using 9.3. looks like the tool is not able to read values from the DEM raster. Make sure that the raster is projected in the same coordinate system as the section lines and outcrop polygons. Also make sure you are using an appropriate discretization distance.

If you check both of these and are still having a problem, please send me the map + geodatabase + raster and i will take a look.

Regarding the grid lines - i opened a separate post for this:

http://aquaveo.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1335

Please feel free to ask as many questions as necessary. We learn a lot from our users.

Gil