GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
mestan

Temperature Dispersion

Hi everyone,

I have a question for RMA4.

Is it right or wrong, if I consider temperature dispersion like pollutant dispersion? Can I write temperature variables instead of concentraiton values to RMA4 BC concentration-time table?

Please let me know

Mestan

I cannot answer the question definitively. Certainly, treating temperature as a conservative constituent is possible to do with RMA2.

The question you need to answer is whether or not this is a reasonable assumption for your situation. You will need to think about your situation with regard to questions such as:

* How long of a reach do I need to model temperature effects? The longer the reach the less likely a conservative approach will be very accurate.

* Is it important that I reproduce accurately the temperatures in the reach or am I comparing the differences in temperature between alternatives where the relative temperatures are more important than the absolute temperatures? I think the conservative approach is better utilized when comparing alternatives since the neglected effects (such as solar radiation) would be essentially equal in all alternatives.

I don't know who said it but I heard the following quote along the way. "All models are wrong but some models are useful."

The short answer is as an engineer you need to decide the assumptions that are allowable for your model for it to still be useful. If you feel that a model treating temperature as a conservative constituent is reasonable for what you are trying to study and your area of interest, you can do this with RMA4. If you go this route, I think you need to be specific in the assumptions that you are making with your model when you give your report to your client.

I haven't read this article but the abstract mentions some of the things that effect temperature that would not be handled when treating temperature as a conservative constituent.

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1993/93WR00540.shtml

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I have a question for RMA4.

Is it right or wrong, if I consider temperature dispersion like pollutant dispersion? Can I write temperature variables instead of concentraiton values to RMA4 BC concentration-time table?

Please let me know

Mestan