GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Simone

Creating Section Line Feature Class

Hi

Im trying to create the section line feature class thru the AHGW toolbox -> subsurface analyst -> features -> create section line feature class tool and i keep getting this error

Executing: CreateSectionLineFeatureClass SectionLine

Start Time: Wed Jun 15 12:32:46 2011

Could not read SectionLine feature class.

Failed to execute (CreateSectionLineFeatureClass).

End Time: Wed Jun 15 12:32:49 2011 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)

any ideas what i am doing wrong?

ok i got this working finally was just a case of GIS being GIS - i did the same thing i already did 10 times infront of someone else and bang - it worked.

But now im having a bigger problem, ive created my section lines and have selected wells within a distance of my section lines, click on the 2D cross section wizard, click on my section line and nothing happens - the wizard isnt launching. Ive copied all my stuff into a new map and still the same problem - HELP

ok i got this working finally was just a case of GIS being GIS - i did the same thing i already did 10 times infront of someone else and bang - it worked.

But now im having a bigger problem, ive created my section lines and have selected wells within a distance of my section lines, click on the 2D cross section wizard, click on my section line and nothing happens - the wizard isnt launching. Ive copied all my stuff into a new map and still the same problem - HELP

Make sure to assign a HydroID to your section line, if the HydroID is Null the Wizard will not execute (this will be fixed to give an error message in the next release of the Arc Hydro Groundwater tools).

yep thats what it was - thanks

also just wondering does the wizard have trouble running if my bore has <null> eastings and northings? im just importing text into the empty bore feature data set and it works fine but it doenst keep the eastings and northings it just fills it with null - i think this is causing problems when im trying to determine my extent for the cross sections maybe?

yep thats what it was - thanks

also just wondering does the wizard have trouble running if my bore has <null> eastings and northings? im just importing text into the empty bore feature data set and it works fine but it doenst keep the eastings and northings it just fills it with null - i think this is causing problems when im trying to determine my extent for the cross sections maybe?

The easting/northing attributes of the bores shouldn’t matter. The XS2D Wizard uses the coordinates from the geometries of the bores and not from the attributes. If the bores appear in the right location on the map and everything is in the right projection (if you put the section lines and bores in the same feature dataset and make sure the projection is correct you shouldn’t have any problem with this) then the wizard should work fine.

If you want the easting/northing values to be added to the bores as attributes you need to create fields for them in the Bore feature class and match these fields in the import process.

Gil

Ive checked the coordinate system and they match and they each have hydro IDs and the bores are plotting in the correct location even without the E & N in the Bore shapefile but when the cross section wizard runs it brings up the new data frame thingo but its empty. Ive sent you an email with my data in it in the hope that you may be able to work out my problem. Its probably something very simple that im just missing but im not very GIS savvy so i havent been able to work it out yet

ok so i sorted the problem - it was an issue with the coordinate system - im in the southern hemisphere so that may have something to do with it? but the coordinate system i was useing was to restrictive ive since changed it to lamberts and its working fine

ok so i sorted the problem - it was an issue with the coordinate system - im in the southern hemisphere so that may have something to do with it? but the coordinate system i was useing was to restrictive ive since changed it to lamberts and its working fine

From looking at your data, the problem was that the domain defined for the feature dataset was too small. Especially the Min Y that was 1900.

Gil