GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
KMM

Advice for exporting SMS outputs to ESRI ArcMap

Hi,

I am working in SMS 10.1.11 with .2dm TUFLOW depth maps and I would like to export the .2dm depth quadrilateral mesh files to a format that I may import to an ESRI ArcGIS Grid format.

The options for importing to an ESRI grid are binary and ascii formats (with header records). However, the header records expectd by ESRI are different than the exported versions (e.g. generic ascii file) I created using SMS | Export option.

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe program:

I tried this program but received the following error message:

"Did not find ""MESH2D"" in first 6 characters of first line

Found: eHDF

No geo-referencing information - This is probably an RMA2 2DM Mesh!!"

Can you offer any advice for exporting the TUFLOW results to ArcMap?

Thanks,

Hi KMM

I don't work with TUFLOW, but we've got same issues with other models. You can try this:

1. convert dataset to scatter

2. optional: build scatter grid (Scatter -> interpolate to scatter ...to scatter grid)

3. save scatter as comma separaeted *.pts (x,y,detph) -> rename the .pts file in .csv

4. goto arcmap

5. read the csv -> display XY Data and build your Raster with the points using the spatial analyst

(6. if you've got Surfer (Golden Software) you may use this program to build grid and save as .adf grid (ESRI compatible) ...it is much faster with large datasets than spatial analyst)

hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

D

Hi,

I am working in SMS 10.1.11 with .2dm TUFLOW depth maps and I would like to export the .2dm depth quadrilateral mesh files to a format that I may import to an ESRI ArcGIS Grid format.

The options for importing to an ESRI grid are binary and ascii formats (with header records). However, the header records expectd by ESRI are different than the exported versions (e.g. generic ascii file) I created using SMS | Export option.

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe program:

I tried this program but received the following error message:

"Did not find ""MESH2D"" in first 6 characters of first line

Found: eHDF

No geo-referencing information - This is probably an RMA2 2DM Mesh!!"

Can you offer any advice for exporting the TUFLOW results to ArcMap?

Thanks,

Edited by aquadraht

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. The process worked, I was able to create the scatter grid and save the x,y,depth file. It imported fine into ArcMap and from here I can build a raster. Unfortunately, the process is very slow (the file contained 869,176 pts), and I have *many* grids to convert. If you come accross a more efficient .ascii based method please share.

Thank you,

Kimberly

Hi KMM

I don't work with TUFLOW, but we've got same issues with other models. You can try this:

2. optional: build scatter grid (Scatter -> interpolate to scatter ...to scatter grid)

3. save scatter as comma separaeted *.pts (x,y,detph) -> rename the .pts file in .csv

4. goto arcmap

5. read the csv -> display XY Data and build your Raster with the points using the spatial analyst

(6. if you've got Surfer (Golden Software) you may use this program to build grid and save as .adf grid (ESRI compatible) ...it is much faster with large datasets than spatial analyst)

hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

D

hey Kimberly

Can't think of a much faster way. I use Surfer 10 64bit to interpolate Rasters from SMS datasets. It takes about 15sec creating a 2m grid (10116 rows x 6911 columns) from 1000'000points with triangulated linear interpolation (running i7 @ 3,7GHz). But there're always quite a few steps to go. Maybe there will be a direct export function for scatter grids in further SMS Versions.

If you find faster ways without big workarounds please let me know.

cheers

D

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. The process worked, I was able to create the scatter grid and save the x,y,depth file. It imported fine into ArcMap and from here I can build a raster. Unfortunately, the process is very slow (the file contained 869,176 pts), and I have *many* grids to convert. If you come accross a more efficient .ascii based method please share.

Thank you,

Kimberly

Edited by aquadraht

Thanks,

Hi Kimberly

Do you want to export the mesh or the results, e.g. the depth with contours? If you want to export the resulting contours, have you ever tried the zonal classification feature?

please check my description in an other topic, which you can find here:

link

if you want to export the mesh itself, delete all datasets you don't need, then right click in the white area in your project explorer on the left and choose convert to CAD.

Then save the result as dxf, or you may convert it first to a map coverage and the save it as an shape file.

cheers

Chris

The fastest way I have found to do this is to right click in the white space in the left pane where your layers are listed and convert to CAD. Make sure only your mesh is activated when you do this. Now turn off all layers except the CAD layer and save as DXF. Open this dxf into ArcGIS and then you can export this out as a shapfile (polyline or polygon). I have found this method to me the most sufficient, especially when my grids are over 1 million nodes.

Hi Thank you,

This worked great for me, however TUFLOW recently released a new Tuflow_to_GIS.exe program that efficiently converts .dat .h5 and .xmdf files to ESRI compatible ascii files. It works much quicker than the grid to scatter to point to XY to interpolate map pathway.

-KM

Hi KMM

4. goto arcmap

hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

D