GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Dan Wagner

2 questions about FESWMS warning/error messages

Hello all,

I have 1 error and 1 warning that keep popping up on me as I try to spin down a river model from bathtub conditions to a known flood's water surface elevation and flow rate.

First, the warning message: I keep receiving the following warning message: "Flux line element edge 179-180-181 not found." This message occurs for every iteration. I believe I've traced it to the edge of an element I disabled after it went dry. The downstream edge of the element corresponds with a nodestring representing the downstream end of the model and natural water surface elevation boundary condition, and the three node #s on the edge of the element are 179, 180, and 181. The question is: Will this condition cause instability in the model? Is this something I should address, or ignore?

Second, the error: Can anyone explain the meaning of the error message 'Top width zero in flux line 2 "2"'? I've received that a couple of times on runs that crashed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

-Dan

Dan,

This post may help with the errors you are getting. It basically states that the topwidth error indicates that elements near your upstream boundary condition is going dry.

I am not sure what the warning message means. Since these are FESWMS errors and not SMS errors, it's difficult for us to determine what the warnings mean. However, since they listed it as a warning and not an error, I suspect that it is less severe.

Dan,

This post may help with the errors you are getting. It basically states that the topwidth error indicates that elements near your upstream boundary condition is going dry.

I am not sure what the warning message means. Since these are FESWMS errors and not SMS errors, it's difficult for us to determine what the warnings mean. However, since they listed it as a warning and not an error, I suspect that it is less severe.

Todd, thanks for the help. I'll take a look at the post. I might have missed turning off a couple of dry elements.

-Dan