GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Liza

Calibration with PEST

Hello, I am a new GMS user and I am trying to calibrate the transient model I found in the GMS 4.0 tutorial.

When I run Pest only taking hydraulic conductivities as Parameters, the model runs but if I add recharge or storage to the parameters I want to estimate, the following message appears: Error condition prevents continued PEST execution: - Cannot open model output file PEST_run1._os.

The forward run converges, so what am I doing wrong?

Hello, I am a new GMS user and I am trying to calibrate the transient model I found in the GMS 4.0 tutorial.

When I run Pest only taking hydraulic conductivities as Parameters, the model runs but if I add recharge or storage to the parameters I want to estimate, the following message appears: Error condition prevents continued PEST execution: - Cannot open model output file PEST_run1._os.

The forward run converges, so what am I doing wrong?

What version of GMS are you using?

It is hard to say what the problem might be without seeing your files. Could you send the project to support so we can look at it?

What version of GMS are you using?

It is hard to say what the problem might be without seeing your files. Could you send the project to support so we can look at it?

I am having the identical problem....was the cause identified and was a resolution found?

Thanks,

Matthew

When PEST is running and you get the message that :

Cannot open model output file PEST_run1._os.

This usually means that the MODFLOW model did not converge. Try doing a MODFLOW forward run with all of your parameters defined and make sure that the model converges. Then try running PEST again. If you are still having trouble then I would suggest contacting support.

When PEST is running and you get the message that :

Cannot open model output file PEST_run1._os.

This usually means that the MODFLOW model did not converge. Try doing a MODFLOW forward run with all of your parameters defined and make sure that the model converges. Then try running PEST again. If you are still having trouble then I would suggest contacting support.

The forward model converges and runs successfully, but I get the same error. I will try to contact support.

This seems like it's a problem with v6.5 - I had the same issue and resolved it by going back to v6.0. Set it up the same way and PEST works fine.

Any ideas developers?

QUOTE (Zak_B @ Jan 6 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This seems like it's a problem with v6.5 - I had the same issue and resolved it by going back to v6.0. Set it up the same way and PEST works fine.

Any ideas developers?

Zac,

I am not sure what the problem is. Could you send your files to support@aquaveo.com so we can take a look at the problem. Please include both the 6.0 and the 6.5 projects and model files. Thanks.

I recently faced the same problem... Just check whether your extent of the parameter polygons have really enclose the grid extent. or while mapping the recharge/ Sy field do you get any such messages like.. "some xy series....... will be interpolated from available information". if thats the case just edit the recharge / SY polygons beyond the grid field and try.. you can check by asking model to initialise the parmaeter by itself to check you get any parametrs such as hk_$$$/ sy_### that u have not entered in key field but you still get them .. (Another check is after mapping the parameter fields to MODFLOW see the properties of HK and SY/SS in modflow grid and see the edges do have the keys as already menioned above). I some how been lucky to solve the problem this way..However, I am still a beginner.....

good luck

D R Sena

<!--quoteo(post=269:date=Apr 7 2008, 10:39 AM:name=Alan Lemon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alan Lemon @ Apr 7 2008, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What version of GMS are you using?

It is hard to say what the problem might be without seeing your files. Could you send the project to support so we can look at it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am having the identical problem....was the cause identified and was a resolution found?

Thanks,

Matthew

I have experienced the same problem in 7.5, though it seems to happen when a model for some reason hasn't started right or I end op aborting because of too long run time. When if I make a few changes I run again, this problem occurs. The solution that seems to work is just copy an _os file from older run into project folder, change the name so it fits current model and save the current with "save as" then the model runs.

I got the same error (GMS 9.1.4) with PEST and Pilot Points for estimating HK.

I successfully run a forward simulation.

I successfully run a Pest simulation with only one HK Zone.

Finally I successfully run a Pest simulation with 20 Pilots Points.