GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
BCGhydraulics

Nesting Grid Procedure CMS-WAVE

Hi

GOAL: Determine wave height and period in a harbor during a storm

METHOD: set up two grids; one is for offshore growth; second is for the harbor itself, where higher accuracy is needed. Grid 1 is 'wind' only for wave generation, the second grid is set up to spectra (from the parent grid) and wind.

APPLICATION: I use the 'nested grid' technique successfully

HOWEVER: At this point I cannot say for sure that the child grid is actually using the wind spectrum, so there is no wind-wave generation!

Can you help with this? My setup is: 64-bit, 10.1.11 (25-jan-11) on XP.

Thank you.

John

Edited by BCGhydraulics

You raise a good question. The version of CMS-Wave used with SMS 10.1, only supports spatially constant wind. That means that the wind is defined in the ".eng" file in the header line for the spectra. To drive the "Parent" grid with no input spectra, I suspect that you used a zero spectra.

Since the "Child" grid does not have an ".eng" file, there is no way to specify the wind parameters separately in SMS. The "Child" is controlled by the ".nst" file created during the run of the "Parent". In this situation, the model saves the same wind conditions associated with the wave case that were used by the "Parent". You can verify this by opening the "nst" file (it is ASCII) and looking at the header line for the wave spectra.

Hi

GOAL: Determine wave height and period in a harbor during a storm

METHOD: set up two grids; one is for offshore growth; second is for the harbor itself, where higher accuracy is needed. Grid 1 is 'wind' only for wave generation, the second grid is set up to spectra (from the parent grid) and wind.

APPLICATION: I use the 'nested grid' technique successfully

HOWEVER: At this point I cannot say for sure that the child grid is actually using the wind spectrum, so there is no wind-wave generation!

Can you help with this? My setup is: 64-bit, 10.1.11 (25-jan-11) on XP.

Thank you.

John