Shiva

Sub-surface flow

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am using GSSHA model. I want to calculate the subsurface flow. I can use GSSHA but it will take a lot of time for each simulation. Is there any other model that predicts the subsurface flow easily (like HEC-HMS, it will take very less time for each run). Looking forward from your reply.

Thanks,

You can use HMS. It has a method called the SMA method that does a pretty good job of accounting for water in the subsurface. They have extended this to their gridded method, so that makes it a quasi-distributed model. It is simple, but it is easy to understand and it works. You would set up a basic model using the same approach as setting up a basic GSSHA model. Use the hydrologic modeling wizard and select the option to create a MOD-Clark model.

Chris

You can use HMS. It has a method called the SMA method that does a pretty good job of accounting for water in the subsurface. They have extended this to their gridded method, so that makes it a quasi-distributed model. It is simple, but it is easy to understand and it works. You would set up a basic model using the same approach as setting up a basic GSSHA model. Use the hydrologic modeling wizard and select the option to create a MOD-Clark model.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. When I develop the HEC-HMS SMA model with linear reservoir, it is giving base flow (I am assuming that base flow in this case is subsurface flow). But that base flow is looks like cumulative. I did not see any variations. Is that correct? And I just used the common SMA parameters. How can I use the Gridded SMA method?

Thanks.

There are several materials that can help you understand the SMA method. In the HMS technical reference manual, pages 40-46 might help you understand the method. The HMS user manual also has some helpful information. There is a section on linear reservoir baseflow on p. 151 of the user manual. Hope this helps,

Chris

There are several materials that can help you understand the SMA method. In the HMS technical reference manual, pages 40-46 might help you understand the method. The HMS user manual also has some helpful information. There is a section on linear reservoir baseflow on p. 151 of the user manual. Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I did see that information before. They did not explained in detail. And I am using WMS, if I want to use Gridded SMA, what are the datasets (parameters) do I need in order to develop Gridded SMA method in WMS. I did not find any tutorials related to Gridded SMA.

Thanks,

Shiva