GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
GMS User

Modflow - model checker err

GMS User    0

I've started a modflow model with the conceptual model approach with a 3d grid with 3 z layers:

-1st acquifer - sand1 (water present only during raining days)

-2nd aquiclude loam

-3rd confined acquifer - sand2

I build the boundary conditions and the 2d mesh for interpolating starting heads from piezometric record.

I use the field data to create boreholes litology, import in GMS and made cross sections. I convert the material (sand1, loam, sand2) to horizons.

I build solids from boreholes and verify cross-section and assign the layer range.

But when I convert solids to Modflow data same problems occurs. The grid model is not as the solid one.

The second problem arises when I set the initial condition (starting heads). Shall I assign it to every layer or only to the 1?

When I run model checker there were errors regarding the starting heads under the botton of layer 1.

How can I fix these errors?

The water level is interpolated from scattered data and I cannot edit it one by one. By the way the aquifer is confined and the water level is refered to the 2nd aquifer - sand2, so it's correct that the starting heads can be under the botton of layer 1.

The third annotation is concerning the display of cells in modflow. Moving the cursor and click on a cell does not display cells i,j,k values but only the ID. To find a cell by i,j,k I've to use the find cell menu funcition. There is not a way to diplay i,j,k in the status bar?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

dlattuada

GMS User    0

Dear Shayan,

..how did you build solids from boreholes?

I follow these steps:

1) import Boreholes data and manually set HUG materials values, 2) create cross-section and set horizons value (manually or by auto-assign horizons), 3) create a TIN, 4) convert Horizons to Solids (Boreholes > Convert Horizons > Solids)

I use the field data to create boreholes litology, import in GMS and made cross sections. I convert the material (sand1, loam, sand2) to horizons.

I build solids from boreholes and verify cross-section and assign the layer range.

But when I convert solids to Modflow data same problems occurs. The grid model is not as the solid one.

The post is dated 2011. I cannot remember what kind of error I got and how I solve it.

By the way I start building a simplified version of the model following the tutorials found in http://www.aquaveo.com/software/gms-learning-tutorials. It's easy to solve errors in a simple model. Afterwards I build a more complex one.

Regards,

daniele