GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Terry

Creating Solids for an ancient river channel

I'm trying to create a solid of an ancient river channel. Simple 4 layers in the basin cut in the middle by a 2 layer river channel. All the layers are drawn in xsection with relatively straight lines and the contact between the river channel and basin layers is close to vertical. I've set up the boreholes, xsection, and horizons coverage. Horizons are set up as the basin layers are 1,2,3,4 and the channel layers are 5 and 6.

The horizons to solds works well away from the contact between the channel and the basin layers. At the contact though, it creates really weird results. Layers on the bottom (1,2,3) have pillars to the surface, and top layers (4,5,6) jut down to the bottom of the grid. Even when the layers don't really wig out, the layers curve up or down drastically at the contact. How does one develop this solid model?

I would post the .sol file but even zipped it is too large.

I am not sure what your "primary TIN" looks like, but it would be a good idea to have the boundary between the river channel and the basin explicitly represented in the TIN. I have attached an example.

What I have attached is very simple but hopefully it is helpful. If not maybe you go post your project without the solids (just the boreholes, xsections, horizon coverages).

horSample.zip

I am not sure what your "primary TIN" looks like, but it would be a good idea to have the boundary between the river channel and the basin explicitly represented in the TIN. I have attached an example.

What I have attached is very simple but hopefully it is helpful. If not maybe you go post your project without the solids (just the boreholes, xsections, horizon coverages).

horSample.zip

I found the zip file empty. I'll look up in the help how to do that, but if you could repost that would be great. My file with just the borehole data and horzons coverages is still 19 mb. (It seems large for what it is) So I unfortunately I still can't post it.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner and sorry that my posted zip didn't work.

I looked at your project and I can see your problem. I think I have a work around for you but it still is not perfect. It looks like GMS needs to better handle a vertical interface between zones like your problem has.

I posted a modified project here:

ftp://pubftp.aquaveo.com/download/GMS/user/Geology8edit.zip

I created a horizons conceptual model similar to what you had with one exception. I made sure that all of the arcs in the conceptual model were marked as "outside boundary". This attribute is not very clear. If it is turned on then GMS will not try to pinchout the horizon at that arc. It should probably be named "force pinchout" instead of "outside boundary".

Also, the TIN that I generated to be the primary TIN is slightly different right on the edge of the river channel. I made it so that there is a thin zone on both sides of the arcs that define the river channel.

Like I said this is a work around and hopefully in the future we can address this issue and come up with a better solution.

The tin idea gave me a direction to go. After a bit of fiddling. I got the solution I was looking for. I created a tin for the river that only included that area. I created another tin for the rest of the area that used the exact verticies of the river boundary. Then I used a 2d scatter file to create a tin for each layer using the appropriate base tin (river or surrounding) putting them into an appropriately named folder. Using horizons to solids, I used the tin folders and put them to the river or surrounding tin. I then combined the solids that were created into a single folder. That created a perfectly vertical contact.

• Like 1