GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Brenda

Editing and importing native modflow files

Hi,

Can exported native MODFLOW 2000 textfiles be editated, converted back to the equivalent HDF5 files and be used to re-run a GMS model? If yes how can one do this? The files I would particularly like to edit are the .lpf file, to change hydrogeological parameters such as recharge, conductivity etc and .wel file to insert a new well in the file.

Regards,

Brenda

Brenda,

Yes, you can manually edit MODFLOW 2000 native files, convert them to H5 files, and run the model in GMS. To do this:

1.Manually edit the native files. I would recommend using the Online MODFLOW Manual as a reference to see what each input in the native file is for. To test this out I opened the native *.lpf file of a sample project. The original horizontal hydraulic conductivity was 5.5. I replaced all of the 5.5 values in the native *.lpf file to 6.5.

2. Drag and drop the native MODFLOW name file (*.mfn or *.nam) into GMS. GMS will then convert the native files to H5 format. After doing this, I went to MODFLOW | LPF Package to see if my horizontal hydraulic conductivities changed from 5.5 to 6.5 and they did.

3. You can then save the GMS file and it will save the MODFLOW files in H5 format.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply. I tried it and was able to edit the .lpf manually. However, I am trying to automate this process by writing code that will create an executible file that will:

1) Edit the relevant files

2) Re run the GMS model

3) Export the output files created into ArcGIS in form of shapefiles.

Therefore, I need to know how to edit the files through code. I am currently trying to create this executible file in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 using C#.

Regards,

Brenda

Hi Alan,

I have had a look into MODFLOW Analyst that is part of Arc Hydro Groundwater but would still like to implement the editing and re-running of modflow using the the native modflow files using an executible file that I am creating in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 using C#. Is there a way of getting access to code that was used to create the MODFLOW Analyst?

Regards,

Brenda

Unfortunately we are not able to give you access to the source code. However, I think using the current AHGW tools you could write python scripts to do what you have described. If you would like more information or a demo contact Thomas Griffiths (tgriffiths AT aquaveo DOT com).