GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Guest nate

FEMWATER transport tutorials

Guest nate

I am evaluating the GMS FEMWATER software, does anybody have any step by step transport tutorial examples they could share. I really would appreciate it. I like the GIS module, but would like to run some phreatic transport simulations to see if it can support my project goals and determine if it is worth purchasing. A tutorial would help get things going. Thank You.

Guest nate

While we do not have any FEMWATER transport tutorials, you may want to look at this.

Browsed through it, and it shows the stuff I am interested in. I will read more into it if it gives any clues to how to make that same set up work for my site. Thanks for the supplemental material.

It would be great if Aquaveo could produce a mini tutorial on FEMWATER transport (a simple 3D box set up would help), just like the FEMWATER flow tutorial (the flow is really a good tutorial). 1 problem I am encountering is initial condition, asking me for femwater.con file, seems to be missing. I must be missing a step to produce that file. I was hoping that the well super node would work as a point source to represent a contaminant leak into the phreatic zone.

Guest nate

While we do not have any FEMWATER transport tutorials, you may want to look at this.

In that pdf file, they also mention that they had difficulties with initial conditions for contaminants. For me, even if I select a fixed value, it fusses about a missing femwater.con file. Is that a bug in the program, or there is a special step I am missing to create that file. Do I have to generate it off another model?

This software (gms - femwater) could be really great, all the model prepping modules are perfect for what my project needs, but if I can't get the transport to work, it would be a waste for me to purchase. I just can't believe there is no tutorial step by step tutorial for it. A saturated, transient, contaminant transport, 3-D finite element is what I'm looking for. If I can get that to run, I will place my order.

In that pdf file, they also mention that they had difficulties with initial conditions for contaminants. For me, even if I select a fixed value, it fusses about a missing femwater.con file. Is that a bug in the program, or there is a special step I am missing to create that file. Do I have to generate it off another model?

This software (gms - femwater) could be really great, all the model prepping modules are perfect for what my project needs, but if I can't get the transport to work, it would be a waste for me to purchase. I just can't believe there is no tutorial step by step tutorial for it. A saturated, transient, contaminant transport, 3-D finite element is what I'm looking for. If I can get that to run, I will place my order.

I have done quite a lot of transport modelling in FEMWATER. It's not that difficult once you have the flow model set up.

The issue with the missing *.con file is a GMS mini-bug. Just create a file with that name, point the initial conditions dialogue box to it (by clicking the folder icon), then select a constant initial concentration. For some reason it gets tied up trying to find a file (in this case the default initial con file) you don't even want to use. The same problem can occur with the inital phd or when you try to use an existing flow solution for a transport simulation.

Feel free to contact me direct for more help on this.

Simon