GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brenda

LPF package

Hi all,

I have a question on the LPF package.

Why is the specific storage and speficific yield buttons unavailable when a steady state model is selected? With visual modfolw that I have been using until recently one can assign specific storage and speficific yield values to either a steady stae model or transient model. However, GMS would not allow me to do that with a steady state model. Is there another way of assigning these values when a steady state model is selcted?

Regards,

Brenda

If you look at the documentation for the LPF package here: http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/gwsoftware/modflow2000/MFDOC/lpf.htm

It has the following

Data Set 13

[ss(NCOL,NROW)]- U2DREL

Include item 13 only if at least one stress period is transient. If there are any SS parameters, read only a print code.

Ss

Data Set 14

[sy(NCOL,NROW)]- U2DREL

Include item 14 only if at least one stress period is transient and LAYTYP is not 0. If there are any SY parameters, read only a print code.

Sy

So MODFLOW only reads these data sets if at least one stress period is transient. GMS does not save the SS/SY values separate from the MODFLOW inputs.

Dear Aquaveo Forum,

I am doing a modflow simulation with LPF package. I am still at calibration stage with some coverages( recharge, source&sinks & observation well). I use recharge zones for automated parameter estimation.

Is there any way to use "hydraulic conductivity" for automated estimation, while I use material set (generated by T-progs) which can only be altered in "material properties" in "MODFLOW | LPF package" option.

Cheers,

Elkan

Yes you can use materials with the LPF package and have the HK be a parameter. Go into the material properties dialog and put in a "key" value (negative number) for the HK for the material that you want PEST to estimate. Now go to the MODFLOW | Parameters dialog and select the "Initialize From Model" button. This should find your new HK parameter.

Dear @Alan Lemon,

Regarding your above reply; In my case similar to above, when I assign negative values for HK zones, the run results completely wrong. With the negative values I do can create key parameters by using "initialize from model".  But the model doesn't run properly. On the other hand, with positive HK values I got a successfully finished run. However in this case, I couldn't initialize the key parameters from the model and don't know how to create parameters by hand. What should I do? Should I just add new parameters? If so, how does the program understands that these parameters indicate my assigned HKs?

Best,

Cansu

It is difficult to answer this question without seeing your model. I don't know of any reported bugs with this feature so you may have missed a step. If you need further help feel free to contact support.