GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chaachoua Mohamed

Select permeability or other parameters by polygon and multiply by a factor

Hello,

One of the relevant improvement of GMS is to have the possibility to select a parameter (K, S, etc.) assigned to a model by polygon or rectangle and change the selected values by multiplying them by a factor or by adding a constant. This possibility will reduce enormously the calibration time.

Thanks

Hello,

One of the relevant improvement of GMS is to have the possibility to select a parameter (K, S, etc.) assigned to a model by polygon or rectangle and change the selected values by multiplying them by a factor or by adding a constant. This possibility will reduce enormously the calibration time.

Thanks

Sounds like a great idea. This could be implemented in a variety of ways. Right now when you select grid cells and view their Properties you get all the cells lumped together in one edit field, and if the parameters differ, the edit field is blank. One nice thing would be to be able to see a table showing all the cells you have selected as rows, and all the parameters for those cells (HK etc) as columns. You can do this in Arc Hydro Groundwater and then use the ArcMap's field calculator to modify the values with a mulitplier or constant. We could have something similar to a field calculator in our table dialog in GMS.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, there is always a solution. I am used when working with models to create two 2D grids, one with a constant value of 1 and the second with a constant value of 0. When I want to multiply a parameter in an area by a factor, I select this area on my first grid and I change the value 1 by the multiplicatif factor. When I want to add a constant to the parametr of this area, I use the second grid and I change the value 0 by the constant to add. Using the Data Calculator feature I can add or multiply a factor for the selected area. It's faster than using Arc Hydro Groundwater and ArcMap. But it is still slower than selecting a set of cells directly into MODFLOW and change their values by multiplying or adding a constant.

Thanks for all