GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. I had the same problem, and the helpful guys at USGS helped me solve it. I was able to replicate the NWT solution by setting all layer types to 'Convertible Upstream' (in the LPF Package options) and using the '(1) Newton with Delta-Bar-Delta' nonlinear solution method (under the SMS solver options). When theses are selected, it reverts to the equivalent of MODFLOW-NWT, and I understand that the cell wetting options are not used. Hope that helps.
  3. Hello Dear all, I’m trying to run a transient model for ten years from 2006 to 2016.The flow budget in the aquifer is negative, Checking the information such as hydrodynamic coefficient shows that the hydrogeological condition changed after 2010 becuse of drawdown. Now I want to define the K (hydraulic coefficient) and Sy(specific yield) for two period separately. How can I define that in GMS? Any suggestion will be appreciated.... Best Regards Mina
  4. Hi An, you Have to change the name of your PEST project, Don't use any number and underline .....
  5. Related question - is there a direct or indirect interpolation pathway from MODFLOW heads (or 2D scatter, etc.) to feature object nodes
  6. Hi, thank you for your thoughts on this. It might be the problem. It is still my belief that it is possible to have MODFLOW-USG manage dry cells. At least that is what i get from reading the documentation of the code, and som litterature. I will try working on with it.
  7. Hi, I have some problems with building up my model in wms, maybe someone could help me with the following issues: - when I compute TOPAZ there are not all streams in my DEM so I want to add some manually with outlets or reservoirs. Is it possible to combine the calculated and the added streams? Is it possible to add outlets that are not in the flow accumulation cells? - than I have some lakes in my basin I want to add as reservoirs by turning the outlet into a reservoir or under Drainage-> Calculators | Detention Basin. What is the difference? And do I have to mark the surface area of the lakes aswell? - For precipitation I have an annual rain hydrograph, do I add this one under Define Precipitation in the Modeling Wizard as Gage? What does exactly mean Gage weights? Can I also add it as Basin average or is this only for 24 hours rain? Thanks a lot in advance. Miriam
  8. So let me tell you something that might help you to figure out what is going on. I had built a model using MODFLOW-USG....one of the reasons was because it managed dry cells without actually making them dry (model converged with no issue). Well, after months of working with this model, a newer MODFLOW-USG executable came out (and was being used in GMS) that eliminated that part of the programming (I guess it was not helpful to some people - enough complaints got the programming changed). Well, that certainly messed up my modeling. It wouldn't converge anymore. The solution was ultimately to set GMS to use the older executable. Soooo.....long story short.....the older MODFLOW-USG executable may solve your original model.
  9. Dear Aquaveo GMS users and Developer, I am trying to use pilot points calibration as the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFgRRPsifo to groundwater model calibration in my case study. Unfortunately, I got an error like the attached file. Does anyone have the experience to solve this issue? please help me. Thank you very much, An,
  10. Hello community. I am currently trying to build a model in MODFLOW-USG similiar to a model in MODFLOW-NWT. My NWT model is fast and robust. I have tried to build a similar model of the same area in USG in different ways, ending with the same problem. The model will not converge if any cells is dry. I discovered this by adjusting the recharge parameter. My USG model converged when the recharge was extremely high and no cells were dry. I tried to "convert model to MODFLOW-USG simulation" in GMS to check if the model would converge when there was no difference in grid structure. I get the same result. I need to increase the recharge to have no dry cells and a model that does not crashes. Can anyone tell me if the SMS solver in MODFLOW-USG can be set up in the same way as the NWT solver to handle dry cells, and how? Martin
  11. Earlier
  12. Fsanti1 I think the solution cell water depth will correspond to the water surface elevation you specify in the overland boundary condition and this water depth will be applied in each of the GSSHA overland flow model time steps to adjacent cells. This option is useful for coastal storm surge or levee break modeling. I have not personally looked at the code to guarantee that the water depth at the cell is kept at that boundary condition throughout the simulation though. Also, to answer the second part of your question, I do not know how GSSHA interpolates between water surface elevation values. My suggestion is to experiment with GSSHA and try to determine what it does with your water surface elevation values and then you can interpolate the water surface elevation values yourself as needed. Chris
  13. Hi Sean, Thank you very much for your prompt response. Best regards, Lalith
  14. Greeting Mr. Smemoe,

Do you think you can help me with my question in the following topic:

Thanks in advance

15. Thanks Lalith - I'll write back when I have finished the conversion.
  16. It would only use it during transient runs.
  17. Hi All, This is more a fundamental GW question than modeling. Does MODFLOW steady state modeling use the Specific storage (S) in its groundwater flow calculations? I have an inherited steady state MODFLOW GW model where Specific storage (S) is left as 0 but model works. In the model, the hydraulic conductivity, longitudinal dispersivity, and porosity values are specified. Just trying to understand if the simulation results are correct. Your responses and suggestions are very much specified. Thank you, Lalith
  18. Please let me know how this works.
  19. Hi Ted, There are 3 approaches. 1. BC's are marked in red dots can also be specified along red lines. Model will try to better interpolate. the BC's. 2. You can go bit further in this approach as follows by specifying heads along contour lines (basically digitization). If your contour lines are in the form of either CAD or GIS shapefiles, then you can convert them to a line feature easily and specify them as Specified Heads (for All layers or selected layer range). You need to activate the layer range for that if you have multiple layers. 3. Go for MODFLOW-USG
  20. Refining a regional steady-state model where the local grid boundary intersects rivers and drains (see image). I went through the tutorials for SS refinement. This model departs from that example in a couple of ways - flow field is not nicely uniform in area; and MF BCs are intersected. I created 4 arcs initially to set up the boundary of the local model. Then I started to wing it - created nodes at each intersection of 1' head contours to map constant heads to the arcs but I'm thinking that may not be the best way to go. Any suggestions on a strategy for mapping the heads and the BCs to the local model are much appreciated. Ted
  21. You're welcome! I have had it do that when I duplicated the run sometimes. Glad you got it fixed.
  22. Creating a new simulation run solved it. Thanks!
  23. Greeting, I will like to know how GSSHA handles the variable stage (water surface elevation) boundary conditions. Does the GSSHA water depth results for a cell are being forced with this overland flow boundary condition if the feature point is located within the same cell or the boundary condition is being applied at the cell and GSSHA is allow to compute the hydrodynamics for this cell? In other words, does the GSSHA water depth results will be identical to the boundary condition applied at the same cell. Also, what does GSSHA does between the variable stage overland boundary condition? Does it compute the hydrodynamics at each time step for the boundary condition or does it linearly interpolate between boundary condition steps? For example, if the time step of my boundary condition is 5 minutes but the computational time step of GSSHA is 1 sec, does GSSHA computes the hydrodynamics each 5 minutes using the latest boundary condition data or does it interpolate the values between each 5 minutes? Any comments or feedback will be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to ask any question if my doubt was not clear. Thanks in advance,
  24. Three things you could try: 1. Delete the file out of the folder, and try again. 2. Close SMS, reboot and try again. 3. Create a new simulation run. Let me know if none of these work.
  25. I am running into the following error in the PreSRH-2D processor in SMS Version 13.0.8. Any ideas on how to resolve this?
  26. Kevin, I recommend contacting Aquaveo tech support about this issue with the exact steps you're using to duplicate this problem. Chris
  27. It looks like I forgot to click on the 1D-Hyd Centerline after extracting the cross sections and remained on the 1-D Hyd Cross Section for the active coverage. If I do the tutorial again and correct that mistake it exports the cross sections to the HEC-RAS data file.
  1. Load more activity